If you have installed a Linksys networking gadget in your house, then we would like to congratulate you on making one of the best decisions of your life. No matter whether you have installed a Linksys WiFi router, have performed a Linksys extender setup or have configured a Velop mesh, all you will get is a powerful WiFi all over the house. But, don’t you want to learn the tricks that can help you improve the Linksys home network performance? If yes, then walk through this post.
How to Improve Home Network Performance?
- Reboot the Linksys Device Once a Week
If you are one of those persons who are unaware of the miracles of rebooting, then know that it is an activity that helps your extender/router fight technical glitches. Apart from this, it will also help you improve the home network performance. Therefore, you should not delay rebooting your Linksys device. Here’s what you need to do:
- Unplug your Linksys device (router/modem/extender) from its respective power socket.
- Disconnect the device from its host networking hardware.
- After some time, reconnect your Linksys device to the host networking gadget.
- Power up the Linksys networking hardware.
- Update the Firmware
Linksys devices receive a firmware update once in a while. This firmware update is not meant for just doing something new to your Linksys networking hardware. It is all about adding new features (especially those hold by newer technical gadgets) to your home network. We do not feel the need to elaborate that it improves the performance of your home WiFi. You should also know that the firmware update increases the security of network of the device. Here’s how you can go about the firmware update process for your Linksys device using the mobile app. This is to inform you that if you have done Linksys Velop setup, you can do it by accessing the web-based management portal.
- Launch the Linksys app on your mobile phone.
- Your mobile phone should be connected to the Linksys network.
- After logging in to the application, you should select the Linksys device you want to update.
- Locate the Firmware Update tab and tap it.
- The device will check for firmware update.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Change the Device Location
The location of the device plays a pivotal role in deciding the output delivered by the network. Therefore, you need to make sure that the Linksys device you own sits at the correct location. First of all, be sure that you have placed your device in the central area of the house. Plus the chosen location is supposed to be well-ventilated. But, is it sufficient? Of course not! You also have to take care of the following things when it comes to deciding the Linksys device location:
- Your Linksys device should be away from devices that emit electromagnetic waves. To be specific, keep your Linksys networking hardware away from Bluetooth speakers, baby monitors, refrigerators, televisions, washing machines, etc.
- Do not consider placing your Linksys device at a place where you have placed your mirrors or fish tanks. This is because mirrors tend to reflect WiFi signals resulting in a mess whereas fish tanks tend to absorb the WiFi signals emitted by your Linksys devices. Both are not favorable conditions.
- If possible, try to keep your WiFi device away from thick concrete walls and other masonry constructions.
- Use Hardwired Connections
When it comes to performance reliability, wired connections are trusted more than wireless ones. This must be known to you that wired connections create a direct communication between two networking devices. Therefore, you should not hesitate employing an Ethernet cable to connect your networking devices. Here’s what you need consider while putting an Ethernet cable to use:
- The cable must not be fragmented from any point.
- There needs to be a finger-tight connection between your Linksys device and the host gadget.
- The cable must be compatible with the router/modem/extender.
- You should also check the physical state of the ports of your networking devices.
The Final Thoughts
After updating the firmware, rebooting the network, using hardwired connections, and placing your devices correctly, you will surely be able to improve the Linksys home network performance. But, there’s one more thing that we need to share with you before we bid adieu. Consider keeping the network traffic to minimum. You should also take the help you the Linksys Media Prioritization feature if you cannot control the network traffic. Enabling the BoostBand Technology in the case of the extender will also help a lot.