Millions trust D-Link WiFi extenders when it comes to accessing a lag-free internet connection throughout the home. However, many users have complained that their D-Link WiFi extender isn’t performing well. If you are also struggling with the same problem, then walk through this post. Here, we have listed some of the basic reasons that are forcing your D-Link extender to perform poorly. So, read on.
Reasons: D-Link Extender Poor Performance
- Incorrect Placement
After completing the D Link extender setup process, users are advised to relocate their WiFi device so that the dead zones can be filled with a high-speed internet connection. But, it looks like the location chosen by you does not fulfill the criteria of an ideal location. Therefore, you need to provide a new location for your D-Link range extender.
Here are a few parameters that decide whether the location selected to place your extender is appropriate or not:
- The location selected is free of WiFi-interference creating objects and devices. It means that there should be no microwave oven, refrigerator, Bluetooth gadgets, televisions, treadmills, cordless phones, etc. present around that location.
- Placing the extender in corners or near concrete walls can also dampen its performance. So, avoid doing that.
- The extender’s location should be properly ventilated. Otherwise, the WiFi signals of your D-Link extender will struggle to spread in every nook and cranny of the home.
- Loose Connection
When we talk about connection, it means we are referring to the one that you’ve established between your D-Link extender and router. Perhaps, the connection between your WiFi devices has become unstable. Thus, you need to strengthen it in order to get the problem resolved.
To strengthen a wired connection, ensure that the Ethernet cable is properly connected to the LAN and WAN ports of your D-Link extender and router. Apart from that, it should not be damaged. If the connection you’ve made is wireless, make sure that your WiFi devices are placed neither too close nor too far.
- Outdated Firmware
An outdated firmware is one of the major culprits due to which your D-Link extender isn’t performing well. So without any delay, update the firmware of your D-Link device.
Here are the steps that you need to follow in order to execute the D-Link extender firmware update process:
- Ensure that your D-Link wireless extender is properly connected to the router.
- Once ensured, open your favorite web browser on a PC.
- Download the D-Link firmware file and extract it using unzip tools.
- Now, launch a new tab.
- Move to its URL bar.
- Type http://dlinkap.local and press the Enter key.
- You will be prompted to log in to your D-Link wireless extender.
- So, enter the extender’s admin details into the given fields and click Log In.
- You will get redirected to the dlinkap.local setup wizard.
- Once there, click Management > Upgrade > Upgrade Manually.
- Now, click the Select File button.
- Locate the firmware file you’ve downloaded for your D-Link extender.
- Highlight the file by clicking it and click Open.
- Click Upload.
- The firmware of your D-Link range extender will get upgraded in a minute or two.
Caution: Avoid doing any background activity on your PC amidst the D-Link extender firmware update process.
- WiFi Leeches
WiFi leeches are those who access your internet connection without your permission. The best way to cut them off is to change the default WiFi password of your home network.
To change the default WiFi password of your D-Link extender, you need to access the web-based management page.
- Incomplete Setup
If you still have no luck, then there are high chances that your extender isn’t performing well due to the incomplete setup process. So, you need to set it up again in order to rid yourself of the issue. However, before that, reset your extender.
To restore your D-Link wireless extender to the factory default settings, find the Reset button on it and press it using a pointed object. Hold for some time till the customized settings from the extender get erased. Once done, consider accessing http://dlinkap.local and setting up your wireless range extender from scratch.
Is your D-Link extender performing up to the mark now? Well, that bright smile on your face indicates that you’ve successfully troubleshot the problem you were facing. Thanks for reading the article.