If one has come across the word ‘acupuncture’ and is a bit skeptical about the treatment process, this article will be helpful. Acupuncture is a complementary therapy that involves the insertion of thin needles through the skin at certain pressure points on the body. Acupuncture is a part of traditional Chinese medicine and is used to treat several physical disorders that are mostly associated with pain. However, today it is also used to improve overall health and deal with stress management. Before consulting a therapist offering acupuncture and Chinese medicine in Minnesota one needs to know what to expect from these therapy sessions.
Acupuncture has been proven to relieve discomfort caused by various physical issues. These include:
- Low back pain
- Neck pain and shoulder pain
- Knee pain
- Migraine pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Menstrual cramps
- Labor pain
- Dental pain
Note that acupuncture cannot treat a condition completely, but it can relieve the pain and discomfort caused by various health conditions. This therapy, when combined with other treatment procedures, can provide comfort to the patient and reduce post-treatment symptoms.
A practitioner will examine the patient thoroughly and assess their current physical condition. Next, he will insert thin, sterilized needles at certain pressure points. During the procedure, the patient might have to sit or lie down. During the process, the patient might feel a tingling or stinging sensation in those parts of the body where the needles are inserted. The procedure involves three main steps: needle insertion, needle manipulation, and needle removal. Typically, the practitioner inserts the needle into the pressure points for about 20 to 60 minutes, depending on the needs of the patient. Before going for therapy with acupuncture and Chinese medicine in Minnesota, one should be aware of the fact that to get positive results, one has to go through a minimum of 3 to 4 sessions. Individuals with severe chronic conditions might have to take two sessions per week for a period of several months.
Apart from reducing body pain and ache, acupuncture therapy has more to offer. The following are the additional benefits of this age-old Chinese medicine therapy:
- Helps to improve sleep- Acupuncture has proved to be helpful to treat sleeping disorders. People with insomnia often take sedatives to get sound sleep. But these have long-term side effects. They can rather opt for acupuncture sessions once or twice a week and improve their sleep.
- Reduces headache and migraine issues- People with chronic headache pains can take acupuncture sessions to get some relief.
- Helps with stress management- Little do people know that acupuncture can also help with stress management and anxiety issues. An acupuncture session can relax both the body and mind.
- Treats allergic asthma- according to certain studies it had been found that acupuncture can also reduce asthma symptoms in individuals with allergic asthma.
There are many practitioners practicing acupuncture and Chinese medicine in Minnesota. Before consulting an acupuncture practitioner, one should find an expert who has years of experience in this field and has good reviews on search engines.